Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Young Conductor I

Welcome back! I hope you all had a good break. It's time for a new series, this time thoughts on the preparation for the young conductor. This could mean an undergraduate planning on a career in music education, or it could mean a young conductor, teacher, or graduate student who's started his/her career. How does one develop the skills necessary to be a fine conductor? What will make the difference between just adequate skills (even good ones) and excellence? I'm speaking of those things outside your classes/curriculum--what can you do to be the best you can be?
 
We'll start with your passion for the art of choral music. If you don't love choral music it's unlikely you'll spend the time necessary to achieve all of which you're capable. But . . .  you're not likely to be reading this if you aren't in love with what we do!
 
I hope so, anyway. I've been at this a long time, but I still love "talking shop" -- I'll happily spend hours talking about almost any aspect of choral music. So that's your starting place: your passion and love for this art.
 

No comments: