Monday, March 10, 2008

Sorry it's been awhile!

My brief two weeks home (between Jan 1 and May 15) turned out busier than expected. I already knew I had to do my taxes (both US and Canadian) during this time, plus catching up on doctors and dentists appointments, but also got a call from long-time friend Nan Beth Walton. Nan Beth sings in the Seattle Bach Choir and their conductor was ill and unable to conduct their concerts this weekend--and could I help? The conductor of the Bach Choir is Greg Vancil--we've been friends for a long time (I've known Greg and his wife Nancy since I began studies at the University of Washington in 1968--an amazing 40 years ago--it can't be that long, can it!?).

Anyway, of course I said yes. So this past week I had rehearsals with the choir on Tuesday and Friday, then concerts Saturday and Sunday. A nice program: Brahms Schaffe in mir, Gott; three Ave Marias (Liszt, Holst & Lauridsen); Hawley's 6 Italian madrigals; a couple of fun pieces for men's chorus by Larry Nickels and Stephen Chatman; and the King's Singers arrangement of Beatles tune, Here, There, and Everywhere.

The choir was delightful to work with (quite a number of old friends in the choir, too, from Seattle Symphony Chorale days and elsewhere). And, of course, it's always nice to make some new friends, too. One of the concerts was at Bethany Lutheran Church in Seattle, where I had my first church job back in 1970-72--probably the first time I'd been back--fun.

It made the home interlude a bit busier, but was certainly worthwhile.

So today it's lots of mundane tasks (another doctor appointment, shopping, more work on Canadian taxes, packing) plus meeting my folks for lunch, before heading up to Edmonton Tuesday.

More about Pro Coro's next concert then.

No comments: